Sunday, August 14, 2011

Gone

Gone is the first book in a series of four by Michael Grant.

I initially chose the book because they had a three for two deal at a bookstore I went to in London, so I needed another book to read. What had caught my attention was the highlighter yellow sides of the book (I'm a sucker for those kinds of books - whoever said not to judge a book by it's cover didn't know what they were talking about), and so I picked it up, read the back, and bought it.

Gone is a revisit to a Lord of the Flies style plot, although modernized to fit the world of today. All of a sudden, everyone over the age of fifteen disappears, leaving the FAYZ, or Fallout Alley Youth Zone in chaos. It's an interesting twist on the classic novel, and certainly exciting and intense.
At the same time, it is clear that the book is meant for slightly younger ages. It's definitely not a young adult novel, and is consequently not written as such, but for a light, fast read, the book is great.

Personally, it didn't make enough of an impression for me to want to buy the rest of the series, but I would for sure borrow the books if my library had them. Grant approached the Lord of the Flies theme from a new angle, and added his own touches - the science-fiction elements, for example. Some of the teens began to develop powers of different types, and there were several more teenagers who didn't turn savage and try to kill the ones who disagreed. However, the leader of the 'evil' teenagers is indeed power hungry, and consequently traps the hands of all of the teens with powers in blocks of concrete.

The book was a fast read, which was nice, but was still challenging enough to read that I didn't get bored by it.

For younger readers, this book is great - for older ones, not as much. Like I said, it was written from seventh grade and up, so the vocabulary wasn't too complicated. If anyone has read the sequels to Gone, leave a comment and tell me what you thought of it!

xx Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment