Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Divergent


Review Time!

This time, it's Veronica Roth's Divergent - a thrilling dystopian novel in which sixteen year old Tris must make decisions that will change her life for ever.

There have been a lot of dystopian type novels lately, and although I read some, I don't read too many of them. But that's probably just because my library doesn't have too many of them, and I don't buy too many books, if only because they're so expensive here.

Anyways, whilst I was in London, I did, as mentioned earlier, some serious book shopping.

One of the books I bought was as you've probably figured, Divergent.

I wasn't entirely convinced if I would like it or not when I bought it, but it seemed interesting so I chose it. I started reading it once I got back home, and finished it in under a day.

For me, it's a good book if I can get into it enough to read it all in one go without feeling the need to stop reading and taking a break.

Divergent was well written, and I really did enjoy reading it, but I had a few issues with it; the main one being that several loose ends were not tied up, or even given any thought. The book was really mostly about Tris' new life with the Dauntless faction (having left her old faction, Abnegation, behind). And whilst that was all well and good for me, the author kept raising questions that made me want answers to them - answers that were never given.

One example of a question like that was "Why are they closing the gates from the outside?" Was it to protect the city from unknown dangers (and what would those dangers be?), or was it to keep everyone inside? None of these questions were actually answered, or even adressed more than just to be asked, and that was quite disappointing.

It detracted a lot from the rest of the book, in my opionion, because I kept on waiting for at least one of them to be answered and explained.

But other than the loose ends, the book was good, exciting, fastpaced and original. I loved the idea of different factions, and then having to choose, because the idea is something I haven't really seen much of before. I've read something along the same lines once, but I cannot for the life of me remember what book it was.

Anyways, I definitely recommend the book, because it's a great read!

xx Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment